Many men suffer the embarrassment and discomfort of feminine-looking breasts, a condition known as gynecomastia. At Kaufman Plastic Surgery, we understand the complex emotions associated with gynecomastia, and respect that our male breast reduction patients are often very self-conscious. Gynecomastia can be corrected with male breast reduction, giving you a firmer, more masculine-looking chest.
Please call us at 916-983-9895 to schedule an appointment and visit our Folsom, CA plastic surgery office in person.
Why Choose Us
- At Kaufman Plastic Surgery, we perform a high volume of male breast reductions and other cosmetic surgery procedures, so you can feel confident about our technical skills and the results that can be achieved.
- Dr. David Kaufman is a board certified plastic surgeon who takes the time to customize each surgery to the unique needs of each patient.
- We’re well-known throughout the Sacramento area as a trusted plastic surgery practice, and have been serving the local community for over a decade. Most of our staff has been with us for 5 years or more, and we’ve worked with the same anesthesiologist team since 2006.
- Dr. Kaufman participates in the Maintenance of Certification® program from the American Board of Plastic Surgery, which adopts a patient-centric approach by emphasizing patient safety and surgeon professionalism.
What to Expect
Between 40 to 60 percent of men experience gynecomastia to varying degrees in one or both breasts, and the condition can occur at nearly any age. Gynecomastia can be separated into two categories:
- True gynecomastia involves the development of glandular breast tissue, which is typically due to a hormonal imbalance and can only be corrected with surgical removal of the tissue.
- Pseudogynecomastia is the appearance of softer contours in the male chest due to excess fatty deposits. This type of gynecomastia most often occurs as a result of weight gain.
Weight loss can also impact male breast appearance. Formerly obese men often feel worse about their chest than they did before they lost weight as their once overdeveloped breasts turn into embarrassing, droopy flaps of skin. Kaufman Plastic Surgery offers post weight loss male breast reduction to help bring out the best in your physique after reaching your target weight.
Surgery to correct gynecomastia can be performed on men of any age if they are physically and psychologically healthy, though men with elastic skin experience the best results from surgery.
Before your gynecomastia surgery, you’ll schedule a consultation at Kaufman Plastic Surgery. During this visit, we’ll discuss your expectations for gynecomastia treatment, as well as the surgical approach that could work best for you. You’ll also be provided with specific instructions to follow before and after your surgery so you know exactly what your next steps should be.
Preparing for Your Gynecomastia Surgery
If excessive glandular tissue is the cause of breast overdevelopment, Dr. Kaufman will usually choose to remove the tissue through excision. Depending on your goals and current physique, some liposuction of the chest area may be performed as well. The incision will usually be made in the underarm area or on the edge of the areola so that scarring will be inconspicuous. Major reductions that require significant removal of tissue and skin often require larger incisions, and may result in more conspicuous scars.
If your gynecomastia is caused by excessive fatty tissue, liposuction of the chest area should be effective without additional surgery. Male breast reduction via liposuction requires only a small incision for the cannula, a narrow tube used to break up and suction fat cells from the area.
Either approach for male breast reduction is generally performed under general anesthesia, and should take from 1 to 2 hours to complete.
Recovery & Results
Recovery time will vary depending on whether liposuction or surgical excision was performed and the extent of correction needed. However, you should expect to head back to work within a week or two, and return to full activity by a month following your gynecomastia surgery.
You will most likely notice a difference in your chest appearance right away after surgery, although it can take several weeks to a few months for swelling to fully dissipate. As your body continues healing, you should see more masculine lines through your upper chest and enjoy a renewed sense of self-confidence when going shirt-free at the beach or the gym.
Please call us at 916-983-9895 to schedule an appointment or request a consultation online.