For many women, breast reduction is not just a cosmetic procedure. Because of their excessive weight, very large breasts can cause a wide range of medical problems, including health concerns like back and neck pain, indentations from bra straps in the shoulders, skin irritation, skeletal deformities and even breathing problems. Large breasts can also attract unwanted, inappropriate attention that can lead to self-consciousness.
At The Natural Result / Center for Aesthetic Artistry, we offer breast reductions for women in the Sacramento area who would like a smaller or more proportionate breast size. We’ve performed over 200 breast reduction procedures since our doors have opened. We invite you to see why so many women have selected us for their breast enhancement procedures.
Why Choose Us
- Our plastic surgeons perform a high volume of cosmetic procedures every year. They are well-known in the Sacramento area for their professional experience and surgical skill.
- We’re proud to have been serving plastic surgery patients in our community since 2006. Most of our staff members have been with us over 5 years, and we have worked with the same team of anesthesiologists since 2006.
- Our results speak for themselves, as does the fact that so many of our former patients continue coming back to us to help them feel and look their best.
- Our surgeons understand that the decision to undergo breast reduction is a significant one, and we’re invested in helping you to make the right choice to best suit your needs.
Best Candidates for Breast Reduction
For some women, extra large breasts are part of the burden of being overweight. Yet, those who successfully drop the excess pounds are sometimes dismayed to find out their breasts didn’t shrink quite as much as the rest of their body. A post-weight loss breast reduction may offer a solution for these women.
Breast reduction, or reduction mammaplasty, is a procedure that removes fat, tissue and skin to:
- Make breasts lighter, smaller, and more proportional to the rest of the body
- Reduce the size of enlarged areolas (the darker skin encircling the nipple)
- Eliminate the physical and emotional discomfort associated with large breasts
The best candidates for breast reduction surgery should be in good overall health and have realistic expectations for the procedure and results. Candidates typically have breasts that they feel are too large for their body type and/or have persistent pain due to the weight of their breasts.
Request Your Consult
You’ll have a consultation at The Natural Result / Center for Aesthetic Artistry prior to your breast reduction procedure. During your visit, your surgeon will carefully review your needs and expectations. The consultation is an opportunity to specify your goals for treatment, as well as discuss any other procedures you may have along with your breast reduction.
Breast reduction with lift is a popular combination procedure for many women who are experiencing sagging with their large breasts. Breast reduction surgery can also be added as part of a mommy makeover.
During your consult, you’ll be given detailed instructions for before and after your surgery.
What to Expect
Reduction mammoplasty can take anywhere from 2 to 5 hours. During the procedure, liposuction may be used to remove excess fat from the armpit area, though techniques for each patient vary. Incision placement, which determines the appearance of scars, is dependent upon the size of your breasts and your desired reduction.
Preparing for Your Breast Reduction
Before your procedure, we will provide you with detailed instructions on how to prepare for your breast reduction surgery. However, here are some things you can do now to help you prepare for a smoother recovery and promote better results.
- Stop smoking for at least 4 weeks prior to surgery
- Stop taking medications that thin the blood, such as aspirin and ibuprofen
- Arrange for someone to drive you to and from your surgery
- Enlist a trusted friend or family to help around the house for at least the first few days after surgery
- Set up your recovery space
- Prepare and freeze a few meals ahead of time
Frequently Asked Questions
Where will the incisions be for my breast reduction?Your incisions will be specific to your needs. Some patients require very little skin and tissue removal, while others require more significant changes. However, incisions are typically made around the areolas and on vertically down the breast crease.
What is the cost?Many factors go into the price of a breast reduction. Costs increase over time and will vary depending on what a particular patient needs. To know exactly how much the cost of your breast reduction surgery will be, we encourage you to schedule a consultation. We are committed to providing competitive pricing on all plastic surgery procedures.
Will a breast reduction affect nipple sensation?If your nipple is resized or repositioned as part of the breast reduction, you may experience some numbness in that area. Once the nerves heal, the sensation should return, though, there is a chance you will continue to have some residual numbness. Dr. Kaufman and Dr. Davis take every possible measure to support the best possible recovery and outcomes.
Breast Reduction Recovery
After surgery, you will most likely have some swelling and bruising around the incision site. Your surgeon will use supportive bandages to help reduce the swelling and discomfort as much as possible and encourage healing. After these are removed, you will be required to wear an approved supportive bra to help promote proper healing.
Most discomfort can be managed with oral pain medications. Although your individual experience may vary, recovery from breast reduction usually requires 7 to 10 days with a gradual return to activities over the following 4 to 6 weeks.
Breast Reduction Results
Over the following months, as your body continues to heal and your breasts settle, you should begin to see your final results. Depending on your goals, you can expect your breasts to appear smaller, perkier, feel lighter and the areolas should be in a more youthful position. Your new breast size should help relieve any discomfort and back pain experienced from the extra weight.