For women who have recently undergone treatment for breast cancer, breast reconstruction can be an important part of the healing process. Breast reconstruction offers an additional level of reassurance, allowing you to protect your health without sacrificing your appearance.
Please call us at 916-983-9895 to schedule an appointment and visit our Folsom, CA plastic surgery office in person.
Why Choose Us
- Experience is key in ensuring the best possible reconstructive breast surgery results. We not only perform a high volume of breast reconstructions for women in Sacramento and the surrounding area, but have been in practice in the community for over a decade.
- Dr. David Kaufman is a board certified plastic surgeon who participates in the Maintenance of Certification® program from the American Board of Plastic Surgery, a continuous professional development program designed to maximize quality of care.
- Expertise matters in all aspects of the plastic surgery experience, not just when picking your surgeon. We’re proud to have highly trained, professional staff, most of whom have been with us for 5 years or more. We’ve also used the same team of anesthesiologists since 2006.
- We keep patient care as our top priority, and that means working closely with you to find the approach toward breast reconstruction that works best for your personal goals. For this reason, we offer several different options for reconstructive surgery, including both implant-based and tissue-based reconstruction.
What to Expect
For women who have undergone a mastectomy or lumpectomy, breast reconstruction can be performed to:
- Restore natural-looking breast contours
- Create symmetry between a natural breast and a reconstructed breast
- Help a woman to feel “whole” after losing one or both breasts to cancer
Reconstruction can even be done at the time of mastectomy, though many women choose to delay their reconstructive breast surgery until after recovery from cancer treatment.
The procedures for breast reconstruction vary from patient to patient, and can often be complex. Simply described, however, a cosmetic surgeon can reconstruct the breast using implants, the patient’s own tissue, or a combination of the two. The choice of reconstruction technique is based on many factors, from your personal preference to the way your mastectomy was performed.
An individual consultation at the office of Kaufman Plastic Surgery in Sacramento is critical in understanding your options and making the choices that are best for you. Sometimes, breast reconstruction can include additional procedures on the opposite breast to ensure symmetry, such as a breast lift or a breast reduction.
Preparing for Your Reconstructive Breast Surgery
The surgical approach taken during your breast reconstruction will vary depending on which technique is being used. For example, breast reconstruction performed using implants may require the use of tissue expanders for several weeks before surgery. Alternatively, implants may be immediately inserted during the same procedure as your mastectomy, similar to the process used for cosmetic breast augmentation. In either case, the surgical time is relatively quick.
Tissue-based breast reconstruction, on the other hand, is a more complicated procedure, as this requires transplanting tissue from one area of your body (usually the tummy, but sometimes the upper back) and using that tissue to recreate the breast mound. Sometimes, this is done in combination with breast implants for a very natural look and feel.
Recovery & Results
Like the surgical time, your recovery experience will vary depending on which surgical technique was used during your procedure. Tissue-based reconstruction can be lengthier, as the body needs to heal from the tissue donation process as well as the reconstructive surgery. Following Dr. Kaufman’s post-operative instructions can help ensure a more comfortable, lower-stress recovery.
As your body heals, you should see a more balanced figure, with both breasts appearing natural and symmetrical. Although perfection is not a realistic goal after reconstructive breast surgery, you can expect to feel more confident again even in slim-fitting clothing and swimwear.
Please call us at 916-983-9895 to schedule an appointment or request a consultation online.